Pages

3.29.2011

My Name Is...

      Today is quite a big day in music for me. Wiz Khalifa's album dropped today which I was quite excited about but kind of disappointed when it leaked a week ago. I had high hopes for it to be a really complete album but I still found myself pushing the forward buttons on the tracks that were lack luster. I was still a good fan and actually bought a physical copy because I have higher (pun intended) hopes for Wiz and the rest of Taylor Gang.  From what leaked before the album came out, Wiz is one of the artists changing the future of hip hop for generations to come. When I'm listening to his new stuff, it's like the world fast forwards a few years. He's on a whole different level than most rappers out there today. It's still the same subject matter but the way Wiz conveys his feelings is so different than all rappers out there currently. So serious props to Wiz, don't fall asleep big homie.
 
Image Courtesty of Bobby Hundreds of The Hundreds
     So if you happen to live under a rock, Dubstep has completely taken over the electronic music scene. Its that hard hitting, crazy mix of drum and bass and house music. It's almost hard to explain what it sounds like because it really has no defined sound. Probably the closest thing you can say about it is the soundtrack to a riot. There is so many different things assaulting your ears, in a good way, that all you can do is riot. It's almost like the new hardcore music from my high school days. Kids would wait for months for their favorite hardcore band to play the local venue. Now kids are lining up to see their favorite dubstep artists, which does my heart good. I've liked electronic music since high school back in the days when DJ's like Tiesto, Deadmau5, and Armin Van Buuren were just getting their start. 

     One of my current favorite DJs in scene is Skrillex. A native of sunny California, I actually have a strange relationship to Skrillex. My girlfriend actually dated him at one point when he was the lead singer of the hardcore band From First to Last. Since he has moved on, he's become almost an overnight success in the electronic music world. Hooking up with Deadmau5 on his mau5trap music label, he's released a few very successful EP's on Beatport which are ridiculously good. 

     I first heard his music on XM radio and my first reaction was "is this a serious song!?" I was so excited that someone was doing something different. Now I'm sure Skrillex didn't start Dubstep, but he was the first artist to really make it big producing Dubstep and now the fact he's teamed up with one of the most successful DJs in the world, there is no doubt that he's going to be making music for a really long time.





    

No comments:

Post a Comment