Pages

3.26.2011

Artists For Japan

     Since the movement started, I have been all for Artists For Japan. Pretty much all of my photography gear comes out of Japan directly and I know the industry has taken a huge hit because of the damage done by the earthquake and subsequent tsunami. I have felt for the Japanese and have followed their strife almost with every update I can get. Knowing how resilient the Japanese are, they will bounce back but they need our help to get back on their feet. With a nuclear disaster hanging in the balance, I feel that every little bit can help so I embarked on a little project fueled by my desire to help those in Japan.

     I threw this piece together last night at around one in the morning because I kept thinking about what was going on overseas. The rising sun is depicted like I see it dripping from its ever so clean seams. Only waiting for the last punch for the deluge to coming pour over it's people. It also symbolized the blood shed by those who died in the disaster and the tears cried for those who were affected. Simple and effective. I included a striking message for all those watching the events unfold too. Save Sendai. We should not let a small Japanese city who gives the American public so much fall into a nuclear wasteland. 

     It is your time to act people. Gather up what little change you may have and send help to Japan. I am only asking a simple $25 dollars for one custom made piece just for you. It will be done on high quality paper and come to your doorstep ready to frame and mount on your wall. Not only will you be getting a really nice starter piece to your art collection, 100% of the proceeds made from the sale of these once in a lifetime prints will be sent to the American Red Cross specifically to help those in Japan. If you would like to purchase one, contact me at patmcpeak1@gmail.com. I will quickly get back to you to discuss details. Thank you guys so much in advance for helping me do my part to help those in need.

    On the topic of art, I love working with the medium I chose for this painting. Spray paint is one of those really fun mediums that requires complete control and is very permanent. The cold feeling of the can as you la down some fat lines on a crisp wall or some brand new canvas. I love the way it sticks to anything, the way you only use stencils as a guideline and the fact that there are so little rules when it comes to using it. 

     Another thing I enjoy about it is the fact that I can just pick up a few cans after work and it costs about the same as a tube of oil paint. Now you can control oil a little better than spray cans but it's definitely no where near as fun for me. I know just about every trick in the book when it comes to using spray cans but I usually always end up keeping it simple, clean and refined. I rarely ever find an idea to get crazy about.

       Although photography is my main form of artistic expression, paint is definitely a very powerful medium. Painting is probably the oldest form of artist expression and spray cans have just made it easier to get paint into the hands of the masses. I hate watching an old customer buy cans and cans of paint only to hear that they need to paint their wheelbarrow the same color it was originally. C'mon pops, get creative. I bet you'd be the only dude on the block of your living community with a seriously sick purple wheelbarrow. 

      Now on a more serious note, which I will leave you with, please do anything you can to buy some really nice art and help those in Japan. Donating directly to the Red Cross and any other reputable charity is the best bet, but why not get some cool artwork for your thoughtfulness. Just as a token of appreciation. I will appreciate every dollar you send me but I'm sure those in Japan will appreciate it more than I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment