Pages

3.07.2011

Everyday is Like Sunday


     This weekend was all about my favorite things. Amanda, photography, hot dogs, diner food, New Jersey and dreaming of future ideas that may never come true but I can see myself doing one day. I've come to accept the state of New Jersey as my second home probably because of my distaste for the word Pennsylvania. There is nothing wrong about the Keystone State, I just think the word tastes ugly in my mouth. New Jersey has everything I want in state minus the fact that it doesn't have a major city that hasn't laid off more than half of it's police force. It has the ocean, a giant strip of woods, better known as the Pine Barrens, plenty of opportunities for art and most places have that weathered, small town feel. Even Millville has that creeping touch of our parents' childhoods that I love so much.
     Which brings me to my next topic. I love New Jersey because of the inspiration I get to do everything when I'm in this state. I can go to any small town in New Jersey and find something that I want to do. Even if it is just take photographs of my experience there, Jersey has so much to offer. The people are generally friendly and have a hometown feeling. Like you've known them for a while. Even the ghost towns that exist throughout the state, whether fallen on hard economic times or places that just don't have houses, drip with inspiration for me.
Who would have known that John C. Peterson owns a HUGE boat.

     Back to the weekend, Amanda and I had an exciting day on Saturday. We got up early, made coffee and read the paper (awesome, I know). We then went to Moe's Southwest Grill for lunch. We brought her dog, Zorro, and planned a picnic in his favorite place ever, the park. Well let's just say, Zorr doesn't like car rides and we forgot a fork at Moe's. We went back home and ate lunch and took the dog for a walk in the woods behind her house. He loves this place too and knows exactly where to go on the trail. The trail that is behind her house is actually a really old part of the Black Horse Pike/US-322. It's old and full of mystery. A ton of broken glass and old soda bottle line the woods on the sides of the trail and old fire pits are to be found deep in the woods way off the trail. The Old Pike leads to the Volunteer fire house where he dad was assistant chief and still an active member. It was a very interesting walk to say the least.

     Let's just say I have some ambitious plans for this week and even more ambitious ones for next week. As the winter slowly dies off, spring break starts and a whole slew of new pieces for Ghost Towns will be made. I plan to even do some night photography to supplement the landscape heavy pieces I have already done for Ghost Towns. Although I love landscape photography, I completely agree with Ansel Adams in saying.

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment."

 Look out world, you're going to have a new artist to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment