Pages

4.02.2011

Free Highs and Air Supply

     Since I last updated you guys, I've been steady every night trying to crank out some good art with spray cans. It's taking me a little to get the hang of manipulating a can without a stencil but it's a whole lot of fun. I mainly use cheap Rustoleum that I score at work but I throw some Valspar in the mix once and a while. It's a cheap way to practice and It sticks to my bond paper pretty well. I always wear a respirator because getting high on paint fumes isn't very fun. I've had this guy for a while and she's been through a lot. Ripping out Asbestos, stripping wallpaper with xylene and general construction; I've always kept her by my side. Since finding the inserts that I have on her are tough to find, I decided a custom paint job would suit her well.


     I decided that going with flat white and flat black would be the best color combo for my trusty mask. I went with those colors because it reminds me that nothing in the world is black and white except for my mask. There are always shades of grey when you look at things. Life is never all happy moments or sad moments. It is our mental filter that makes us believe that we having nothing going for us or leads us to disappointment when we feel nothing can go wrong.


     I personally think that 3M respirators are so awesome. They remind me of a half gas mask from World War II or something. They are so industrial and make you feel like an astronaut or scuba diver, two of my childhood dream jobs. They are easily the most effective respirators at keeping unwanted stuff out of your lungs because they seal so well around your face. I would easily recommend picking one up from your local Lowe's Home Improvement Warehouse (shameless plug.). 



     I never really plan to be an overnight success with anything I do but I always work like I am already successful. My take on art is never, never, never let anyone else tell you to do. Sure, taking criticism is naturally a good idea and a way to make yourself better but never compromise your creative vision because someone else thinks it would be "cool". Most of those people know nothing about art anyway. Appeasing others to make yourself happy is never going to make you a better artist. Your art is good when it is technically correct and YOU like it. If your mom thinks it's dumb then your mom is probably not an artist. I love what I do with a camera and I love what I do with paint, charcoal, etc. I'll never compromise my artistic vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment