Pages

5.23.2011

Is Your Mother a Monster?


      The answer to this question for me, is absolutely. To anyone who either just got out of a coma or just isn't into music, Lady Gaga's long awaited album Born This Way dropped today. Being the little monster that I am, I had to show my appreciation to her and go out and buy a copy. Let's just say I am so glad i did. The album is so complete with the perfect amount of fit & finish to make it a serious contender for my own personal album of year award. 
     I've been having a good start to this year music wise. A lot of my favorite albums have come out this year including Lykke Li's Youth Novels, the Beastie Boys Hot Sauce Committee Part II and now Gaga's Born This Way. I'm just hoping the the rest of 2011 follows suit. 
      I already heard a bunch of tracks from it with the singles she released already but when it is in full piece, it only gets better. I've been watching the GAGA-THON on Fuse tv all week just to get prepared for this day and its always so much better when you know the reasons why the artists wrote the song and I use that word artist in the full scope. She truly is an artist and never lets her creative vision be compromised by anyone.
     From her humble beginnings to the grandiose spectacular we have now, she has changed music without a question. She has changed my life in so many ways including all of my opinions on women's fashion. The first time I saw the "Just Dance" video, my eyes weren't ever the same.



      The piece that really did it for me was the disco mirror bra. I, to this day, have seen anything so simple but so out of this world. Most of her outfits now are over the top and disgusting, to me what high fashion is truly about. Even a disco mirror bra is simply just over the top. I couldn't imagine seeing one in person.
     Back to her latest album, I listened to the whole thing once I bought it this morning and it was all really good but one track simply seemed to stand above. Like "So Happy I Could Die" on The Fame Monster my x-factor track on Born This Way  was "The Edge of Glory". Written half before she got to her grandfather's death bed and half after he departed, it's a strangely happy song for the topic it was written about. Gaga and I seem to share the same opinion on life and death, as when you're life flashes before your eyes, not only is it a recap of your life but a salute from it, letting you know that you kicked it's ass and really lived how you wanted to. After a long journey through the album this was certainly the best track to end it all. Halfway through the song, simply thinking of it's meanings, I couldn't help but shed tears. A mix of both happy and sad ones but the fact that I was there in that moment, I felt as if everything was perfect for a second and couldn't help but get very emotional. This is the second time Gaga has had me in tears and it is the second time that an album has made me cry just like The Fame Monster did almost a year and a half ago. So enjoy guys. Live you life and make sure that it salutes you when you reach the edge of glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment