Pages

10.05.2011

Talent


      I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say that they aren't good at anything. Contrary to popular belief, I firmly believe that all of us have a hidden talent. Something that we absolutely shine at. Something that makes us utterly happy while we are doing it. This is simply what I like to call a talent. Sure not all of us can be six foot six and soar to heights that would make Issac Newton rethink his theories about physics but we're all good at something, no matter how much you want to deny it.
      I think the real problem that we all face in finding our talent is not being fearless enough to take the risks we need to discover our talent. People today are obsessed with going to college to find a great job after they graduate. Little do they know that any job is considered a good one in this economy and they also don't consider how much they don't like what they're studying. Most people think, well it doesn't matter because I'll be making a ton of money and I'll buy really nice things. I agree, the sound of a V-12 engine surrounded by the classic Rosso Red paint sure makes me smile but money does not buy happiness. Waking up every morning knowing that your about to make a commute to a job that your absolutely hate doing is really no way to live. 

      A ton of people have offered statements about how many shots you miss if you don't take any but i can't stress enough how true they ring. People always offer me the same advice, like "how am I going to make money doing this?" or "what if it doesn't work?" Another lesson I learned from "His Airness" other then what shoes I like best is that no matter that he got cut from his high school basketball team, there is no doubt that he was the best player to play the game. Not only was he good at the game, he would step on the court with missions to dismantle players that he was up against. Dunking from previously unreachable heights, playing above the rim and doing what he needed when his team needed him the most. You can never realize your full potential until you actually get after it and make the best effort you possibly can.
      Take it from me. I originally went to college to study engineering which I was good at but utterly miserable while at practice. Although it offers a lot of room for creativity, I could not let my full potential shine due to all of these rigid rules people called physics. Now that I'm studying Photojournalism, there is literally no limit to my creativity other than the law and common things we call ethics. Even those are bendable. 
      Lastly, learn to take your time through life. There is no rush to figure out anything. When I hear people talk about youth and when people tell me you have your whole life ahead of you, I simply reply with so do you. If you really think about it no matter how old you get, you'll always have your whole life ahead of you. So what are you waiting for, Live.

No comments:

Post a Comment