Pages

2.22.2011

Why We Do This

Lately, my inspiration has been lacking. I just can't think of anything really interesting to photograph around me. I swear one of these days I'm going to just drive until something jumps out at me. Even though my mind has been trying to come up with something for days now, the reason I keep on going is because I know there is something out there. I know that there are photographs waiting and hiding in everyday experience. I know that it's just lurking around the corner waiting for me to discover it. I not only yearn for this moment to capture, I dream about it. I even go to the point where I lose sleep over it.

This video will give you a taste into what photography is for us photographers. Mickey Smith is one of the world's best surfing photographers. His monologue during this insanely epic video almost reads like a poem. It's quite an awe inspiring track to a video that one day I hope to produce. Check it out
It's not easy being a photographer. Your whole life is dedicated to capturing moments that only add up to a few hours. Many people think that if they go buy a nice camera and some nice lenses and a little flash, walk around and take pictures, they become a photographer. My advice to them. Keep the camera you have and write down a list of moments you want to capture. Go out with that camera, capture those moments and don't come home until you are completely satisfied with your work. Once you out grow this little camera move into something more advanced. Buy into a camera system you like and buy all of the glass that you can afford. Lenses make great photographs, not cameras. Remember if you really want to be a photographer, you can never give up.  Try and tell a story with your photographs. Don't just wander out into the world and try and capture "water drops on a leaf" or "people in the city", tell everyone a story. Make people feel what you felt when you pressed the shutter button. Never sell you gear and if you really want to get out of the hobby, introduce someone else to it. Hopefully, they'll find the wonderful friend that I did so long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment